International Student Program
Underdale High School is nestled in spacious grounds adjoining the river parklands, just 5km west of the Adelaide city centre, 2km from the airport and 10km from the sea and some of Adelaide’s best sandy white beaches. The school provides a student-centred learning experience for Years 7-12, attracting students from diverse cultural backgrounds. High expectations and standards of work quality, punctuality and attendance ensure that students learn to become responsible in their learning and behaviour. Quality differentiated teaching and a targeted support program ensures all students benefit from educational challenges that meet their learning needs. Student wellbeing is a priority for all staff.
Our International Students are valued members of our school community, offering diversity in the curriculum, community, and culture of the school. They are supported by members of the Leadership Team, the International Student Program Officer, Wellbeing Leaders and Home Group Teacher and our teaching staff.
Intensive Secondary English course (ISEC)
The ISEC program is a one semester program designed to increase English skills proficiency while gaining knowledge and understanding of the Underdale High School curriculum and Australian lifestyle and culture. This enables a smooth and successful entry into mainstream classes. It is a small class of 10 – 14 students who are supported by a core group of specialist teachers.
High School Graduate Program
Students first do a semester of the ISEC program (described above) and then enter mainstream classes with local students.
Following ISEC, the successful completion of year level subjects enables students to gain their South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE).
High School Study Abroad Program (short term visits)
International students may choose to stay for a short experience studying at Underdale High School. The school year is divided into four school terms so choosing to join for one or more of the four terms is recommended.
We regularly host School Study Tours from overseas. International schools hoping to bring student groups to visit Underdale High School should negotiate with International Education Services: http://www.internationalstudents.sa.edu.au
Typical programs offered to visiting schools include bespoke English classes, Australian lifestyle and culture, experiences of mainstream lessons, opportunities to meet and connect with local students and excursions in and around Adelaide.
Special Interest Subjects
Underdale High School offers a range of Special Interest programs and initiatives for students including:
- The Underdale High School Football (Soccer) program
- The Underdale High School Automotive (mechanics) program
- STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics)
* Additional costs may apply for special interest subjects. Price on application
From years 7-10, Students have the option of studying Greek or Japanese.
From years 10 -12, students may also study other languages organised by the school with the South Australian School of Languages.
* There are no additional costs for studying a language
- Performing arts suits (music, drama and dance)
- Resource centre with large collection of English resources
- Automotive trade training centre
- Sporting facilities – gymnasium, tennis courts, oval, soccer pitches, weights room, basketball and netball courts
- Senior school study centre
- Lamination lab
International student support services
- Intensive literacy
- English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- Wellbeing support
- Study Support (no additional charge)
- Homework club (no additional charge)
- Small group tutoring (price on application)
- Personal International Student Program Manager
- International Student Program team (IES)
- Bilingual support officers
- Student buddy system
- Translators (when required)
Activities and Fun
In addition to normal school excursions, all international students will have the opportunity to participate in excursions once a term to such places as:
- Cleland Wildlife Park
- Port Noarlunga Aquatics Centre
- Dolphin Sanctuary Kayak Tours
- International Student Lunches.
* These excursions do not incur any additional costs to students.
- South Australian Government Schools can help you enrol to study abroad at our school.
All Underdale High School students require the following uniforms.
- A summer uniform
- Winter uniform
- Physical Education uniform
For full details of our Uniform see the Uniform section of our website.* Underdale High School also has a second hand uniform shop where students can purchase near new uniforms at discounted rates. Prices upon application.
All Students are required to have their own laptop. Please visit the Student Laptop Requirements section of our website for a list of appropriate devices.
International Education Services | Department for Education
PO BOX 1152, Adelaide SA 5001| GFW 31 Flinders Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Telephone: +618 8226 3402 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Underdale High School International contact: email@example.com
Department for Education T/A South Australian Government Schools CRICOS Provider Number 00018A
Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Legislative Framework
South Australian Government Schools can help you enrol to study abroad at our school.